What Is Conservative Dentistry?
In an era, where the world emphasis on prevention and conservation for every aspect of life, the dental world is not left behind – Conservative dentistry is a speciality that plays a vital role in saving the teeth. It is a treatment process wherein a minimum of healthy tooth structure is removed during the restorative process to restore as much as teeth material as possible. To sum up what exactly conservative dentistry is – It is a branch of dentistry that deals with the preservation and conservation of all the teeth and include the practices of both Operative Dentistry and Endodontics (root canal therapy) that is performed along with other dental surgical procedures to rid the teeth of any other disease.
Factors that affect operative treatment:
- Dental Caries
- Malformed Teeth
- Discoloured Teeth
- Non-aesthetic & Fractured Teeth
- Restoration, Replacement or Repair
Three sub-specialities of conservative dentistry at LV Dental Square Clinic in Bangalore
- Operative Dentistry: Operative dentistry refers to the treatment and prevention of common dental problems (tooth cavity, discolouration, and tooth enamel erosion). The services provided under this aim towards restoring the original aesthetic and function of the teeth – in short, restore the good dental condition and oral health.
- Endodontics: Endodontics deals with the roots and the inside of the tooth. This treatment, or root canal treatment, treats the soft pulp tissue inside the tooth. It makes sure that the roots of the tooth are as healthy. This involves removing the pulp in the root canal treatment, as well as making the much-needed fillings.
- Cariology: This is the opposite of Endodontics. While endodontics focuses on what’s inside the tooth, cariology dentistry provides protection through the necessary treatment to the tooth surface.
Considerations for conservative dentistry
- Control of the infection causing the problem
- A complete examination of the patient’s oral and systemic health
- Diagnosing the dental issue affecting the body tissues
- Plan a treatment regimen, which can return the affected area to a state of good health and function restoration.
- Complete understanding of the materials that will be used to restore the affected area, including its limitations and the techniques to use it.
- Understand the environment where the restoration is going to take place.