What is Gum Disease?
Gum disease also known as Periodontitis,and is a very serious infection which causes damage to the gums and destroys the jawbones. It is caused by certain bacteria (known as periodontal bacteria) and by the inflammation triggered by those bacteria. Although these periodontal bacteria are naturally present in the mouth, they cause harm when they increase in number under favourable conditions.This mostly happens when plaque builds up in places that are hard to reach using a brush. Gum disease has been a major reason for tooth loss in adults.
Common signs of Gum diseases
- Red and puffy gums
- Unusual mouth taste
- Bad breath
- Bleeding of gums mostly while brushing or eating crunchy foods
- Tooth Loss
- Gum recession which means teeth appear to be longer
What are the different types of gum diseases?
1. Gingivitis: This is swelling or inflammation of the gums, caused due to formation of plaque on the teeth and the gum line. This is one of the common diseases which starts with mild swelling and gradually tends to get worse over time causing mouth pain, tooth loss and other gum diseases. Do not ignore any signs of gum disease.
Formation of Gingivitis Disease
- Gums are swollen and start bleeding very quickly.
- Plaque formation takes place below the gum line.
- Factors that may lead to gingivitis include smoking, aging, stress, hormonal fluctuations,
Gingivitis is reversible with dental treatment at our clinic, we perform professional dental cleaning of root planing and scaling, and advise one to maintain good oral hygiene. Also using regular antibacterial mouthwashes can help treat gingivitis when used while brushing and flossing.
2. Periodontitis: Periodontitis is more severe than gingivitis. It is found in the gums and is caused due to tatar and other harmful bacteria or infection in the mouth.
Treatment of Gum diseases
- Deep Cleaning: Deep cleaning method is used to wipe out plaque deposition, taking away bacteria causing the gum disease.
- Medications/Surgery: If the gum disease has gotten more severe then oral surgery is recommended. The surgery involves removing all the infection and bacteria, from around the gums.
We advise you to follow this checklist to have healthy gums
- Brush and floss your teeth after every meal.
- Use a mouthwash which does not contain alcohol.
- Regular dental visits for cleaning and check-up for a healthy mouth.
- Change your toothbrush every 2-3 months.
- Use a dental pick to get trapped food & bacteria out from your teeth.
At LV Dental Square we offer treatment for all types of Gum Diseases. Our team of professionals is highly qualified to treat gum diseases. Our regular check-ups also include informing patients of any signs or symptoms that signal towards gum disease.
Schedule a dental appointment for healthy gums.